Monday, February 17, 2014

One month down, 26 more to go....maybe

WOW! I can't believe it's already been a month since I've come to Morocco. This officially is the longest I have ever been in a foreign country and boy has time been flying along. It seems like yesterday I was back home at my mom's place trying to figure out what to pack and now I have to start deciding on my final site placement. Should I go for the the mountains, coast line, near Spain and the Strait of Gibraltar, or maybe the desert (Sahara) and more exposure to the Berber communities of Morocco. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions. Though there are plenty of variables that I'm uncertain how they will play out, one thing I know is that I would like to have a site mate. Basically that means that I would work in a town, city, or village with another Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) assigned to the same location. I think this would be a great asset for me and hopefully for that volunteer as well. We can share ideas and continue to help each other improve on our Darija (Moroccan Arabic) daily, and also to have a support person in close proximity without a 10 hour bus trip.I think my personality would best be complemented by someone that I could speak to face to face versus on the phone if I have a rough day. Even though this is a not guaranteed this is definitely my most important request and really anywhere in the country will be fine in terms of living for me. Sure I don't want to be in 135 F weather, but if I have a site mate we can constantly pour cold water on each other. haha.
What else is going on? Let's see. My host family is still amazing and I definitely got the best setup I could have and one that is great for my needs. The food here just keeps getting more tasty and even though we are now cycling through some of the things I've had multiple times I'm still not tired of the tasty goodness of Moroccan cuisine. My former restaurant reviewer self is overjoyed. And in spite of all the food I am served quite regularly, my waistline is still slowly shrinking. Being down one belt loop, though minor feels awesome. For now I am still focusing on proper diet, but soon I will be implementing more exercise strategies to my routine.  

I still thoroughly enjoy my CBT (Community-Based Training) group and everyday I get stronger and more confident with the language though continued practice is still needed much more than I'm currently doing. Lol. I joked today that for a language that is considered "slang" in Morocco, it is awfully complex. 

Well as most people who know me know, There is so much more floating around in my head that I definitely am not getting out in text so I think soon I will start a audio blog/podcast that I can link or embed into this blog. Be on the lookout for that maybe in my next posting. Inshallah (God Willing)

As always I leave pictures of things seen and done.

bslama (goodbye)

My first visit to the Souk (Outdoor Market)



An old fortress in my town (The water here is rumored to heal your body)



The big door in Meknes


Shopping in Old City (Meknes)

Another beautiful view of my town


A program at my Dar Chabab (House of Youth/Youth Center)

Posing as a group after a great day of traffic safety programming

A view of my Dar Chabab and the traffic safety course setup 

No comments:

Post a Comment